Bullock Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was officially recognized during the Annual Conference, held in Prescott, Arkansas on November 20, 1901. Rev. O.L. Mitchell was assigned as the first pastor. Rev. Mitchell served six months and was succeeded by Rev. J.M. Reed. Several outstanding ministers succeeded Rev. Reed, each continuing the progressive movement of the church.
The church was destroyed by fire in 1915 and J.A. Booker, president of Baptist College, allowed the members to worship at the college. In 1962, Rev. Nehemiah Mitchum became pastor at Bullock Temple. He remained for twelve years. In 1971, the Bullock family moved from its 17th and Cross location to 1513 South Park Street. Rev. Mitchum was the first African American elected president of the Greater Little Rock Ministerial Alliance. He was the recipient of many other community awards and citations.
In 1982, Bullock welcomed Rev. Albert Davidson, a native son, as its new minister. Under Rev. Davidson’s leadership, an annex was added to the church. A library, dedicated in honor of Mrs. E.B. Tollette, was established. Rev. Davidson was the longest serving pastor in Bullock’s history.
In 2003, Bullock Temple welcomed Rev. Logan Hampton, Jr. Under his leadership, the church developed its vision: We are a Christian Family committed to Worshipping God, Studying the work of God, Working for God, and Witnessing for God. Out of this ministry grew many lay ministries to grow the church. As the church grew in membership, several new ministers were added to the church. In July 2013, Rev. Dr. LaVerne Bell-Tolliver was appointed as Associate Pastor and became an ordained Elder of the CME Church.
In July 2014, Rev. Dr. Thurston Callier III was appointed Senior Pastor and Rev. Dr. LaVerne Bell-Tolliver was reappointed Associate Pastor. In 2016, Dr. LaVerne Bell-Tolliver was assigned to Bullock Temple CME Church as the Senior Pastor. Rev. Ryan Davis was assigned as Associate Minister. In 2018, Bullock Temple welcomed Rev. Dion Broughton as it's new Pastor. Because of Rev. Broughton's dynamic leadership, the church continues to be a place of worship and growth.
From 1901 to now, the Bullock Temple family continues to do the work for which it was called. As we stand on the shoulders of our founders and past members, we strive to keep the great commission. We seek to build God’s kingdom through the making of disciples of all nations in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:16-20).